I am going to be a mother of boys.
This realisation has fallen heavily on my shoulders since
the confirmation in the ultra sound room.
Our first child is a boy and now our second will be a boy.
This realisation has brought on many emotions, as I had it
set in my head that number two would be a girl.
We even had the name sorted and everything. I had a feeling from the beginning there was
a little girl in there and this was even
confirmed by my gorgeous slightly psychic Greek friend Mani. From the moment he saw me pregnant he said it was a girl with that confident
Greek voodoo of his.
But no, it is not meant to be as there was a definite and
defining additional appendage on the ultrasound photo.
I’m currently 8 months pregnant and the weight of what is a
head of me is daunting. Now don’t get me
wrong, even if it was a girl it would be still very daunting. However, I do feel very lonely in my sex. Beside our dog, it will just be me of the
female gender in our household.
Yes, yes many people tell me just go for the third if you
want a girl, but neither my mind nor my body is up for three children of any
sex. So, now is a time of acceptance and
appreciation that this little baby boy growing rapidly inside me is healthy and
hopefully happy. I have to accept that
there will be no little dresses or pretty shoes. I have to accept there will be no passing on
of jewellery or clothes such as wedding dresses.
There is also a sadness that I cannot be that strong role
model for a young girl and show her the way I have strived to be an independent,
educated, opinionated and passionate women in all my pursuits. I know these things are extremely important
to be as a role model for my boys, but for some reason it will not feel the
same as if I saw my daughter striving to be these things as well.
There is a relief involved with having boys. They will not have as much societal pressure
to be and look a certain way. They will
have a freedom that many young girls struggle to keep as they grow older. They will have an amazing man to look up too,
their father, who will teach them how to be a strong, emotional, caring and independent
men. I feel I will not have to worry as
much about them as I would having daughters. It is not very progressive thing
to say, but I would worry about the pressure to conform they would have to face.
I do look forward to seeing my oldest boy have a brother and
the bond they will form that will be stronger than anything I ever had with my
brother. It will be chaos and I know I
will have loneliness and lots of points not understanding the male brain, but I
chalk it up to another challenge thrown at me.
I will raise my boys with open mindedness and appreciation for all
aspects of the world and hopefully I can be a strong enough role model for
them.
No comments:
Post a Comment