I love where I
live. I love enjoying Coogee as much as
possible and sharing its treasures and secrets with others. So with that here is my perfect way to spend
a beautiful morning in Coogee, NSW.
An early morning
swim at the women’s baths in Coogee can be an inspiring and possibly religious
experience (if your into that). First
off the venue is stunning. Placed on
the south side of Coogee beach about half way up the headland the pools are built
into the cliff side with the waves gentle spilling over the sides. The warm morning sun mixed with the cool
water really gets your blood flowing and awakens you to the day.
As this is a
women only bath (and children as long as the boys are under 13), there are
women with their tops off, both sunbathing and swimming which is a very freeing
thing to see. I of course being the wimp
I am kept my top on. Swimming through
the water really makes you feel at one with the earth in a very hippy way. I often find myself just floating looking out
to sea in aw of the beauty that is surrounding me. Looking around there are women doing yoga in
solitude up on the grass, powering through the water at a mean stroke or simple
raising the heads to the sun and drinking it in. Once I have had my fill of swimming, I grab a
quick shower in the rustic outdoor shower facing the ocean. (I do take my
swimsuit off here, so not too wimpy).
The chatter and
conversation amongst the women is of a positive nature and speaking of our
coming day activities and the week ahead.
I find that everyone is very open for a chat here, unlike other pools
where most everyone puts the blinders on and goes about their business. The pools are not free and cost a whopping 20
cents per visit to help with the up keep of the showers and grounds. So if you are a lady looking for a new spot
to swim and can spare 20 cents then I recommend you give it a try.
After my swim
and wonder back down to Coogee to get my coffee hit. There are so many places to choice from, and
knowing what rent must be like they have to very good to last more than one
summer season in Coogee. Currently one
of my favorites is The Courtyard. It is
a relax café with spacious seating tucked into what use to be a little shopping
arcade. They have used the space wisely
with retractable roof panels that can shield their patrons from rain or baking
sun. The use of a couple of big, long, wooden
tables amongst the smaller ones allows for larger groups that won’t completely invade
the whole space of the café. Creation of
a coffee bar at the front is great, as those of us just after a take away
coffee don’t have to awkwardly stand in the café space but can wait on the footpath
and watch their coffees being made.
Of
course I wouldn’t be speaking of this place if the coffee weren’t great. It is and reasonable priced given the proximity
to the beach. On a day like today I
can’t resist grabbing one of the papers on hand and sitting down for
breakfast. The menu is not your typical
Aussie café selection. There is
everything from baked eggs, to breast quesadilla, to an assortment of toast and
breads. I go for the Courtyard
Breakfast, which is a poached egg on sour dough bread with salmon wrapped asparagus
and hollandaise sauce. I can easily
spend an hour to two here reading, sipping my cappuccino and enjoying my
breakfast. I never feel rushed either,
the staff just wants you to sit and enjoy yourself. Once I finish, feeling relaxed with my dose
of “me” time, I stroll back up the hill refreshed and back into my chaotic
reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment